Select an Accepted VAF Application Title and Series:
- Human Resources Specialist - 0201
- Contract Specialist - 1102
- Law Enforcement Specialist (Instructor) - 1801
- Information Technology Specialist - 2210
Meet at least one of the below Requirements:(see Eligibility Requirements for more details below)
- Are a current or former career/career-conditional competitive service employee of the Federal Government; OR
- Meet the requirements for the Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) authority; OR
- Meet the requirements for the 30% or more disabled veteran (DVAAP) authority; OR
- Meet the requirements for the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
All VAF opportunities are posted at https://www.usajobs.gov/
(Search using Department of Defense Security and Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers)
The FLETC Human Capital Office is responsible for accepting and maintaining VAF
applications for non-competitive eligibles. VAF applications are active for a
period of one year from the date of receipt.
For additional information please contact the FLETC Human Capital Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (912) 267-2289.
» Current or Former Career/Career-Conditional Competitive Service Employee of the Federal Government: You must have previously held or currently occupy a permanent position equivalent to or higher than the full performance grade-level of any position in the VAF you would be considered for. The VAF is not a means for promotional opportunities. A Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) indicating occupational series, grade and tenure is required.
» Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA): The VRA is a special authority by which agencies can appoint eligible veterans without competition to positions at any grade-level up to the GS-11 grade-level or equivalent. VRA appointees are hired under excepted service appointments to positions that are otherwise in the competitive service. If you are claiming VRA eligibility, you must submit a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214) with your application. Visit the following website for detailed information: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals/.
o You meet the VRA eligibility criteria if you are:
- Disabled veteran; or a
- Veteran who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; or a
- Veteran who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; or a
- Recently separated veteran who has been discharged or released from active duty under other than dishonorable conditions for not more than a three (3) years period.
» Service-connected disabilities of 30% or more Appointment (DVAAP): Veterans with a service-connected disability rating of 30% or more are eligible for non-competitive appointment at any grade-level for which you qualify. If you are claiming a service-connected disability, you must submit a DD-214, SF-15 and supporting documents (e.g., official statement from the Department of Veterans' Affairs) with your application. Visit the following website for detailed information: https://www.opm.gov/employ/veterans/html/vetguide.asp.
o You meet the service-connected disabilities of 30% or more eligibility criteria if you are:
- Retired from active military service with a disability rating of 30% or more; or
- Rated by the Department or Veterans Affairs (VA) since 1991 or later, to include disability determinations from a branch of the Armed Forces at any time as having a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
» Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Applicants with disabilities may be considered under special hiring procedures at any grade-level for which they qualify. Applicants must submit an appropriate certificate of eligibility issued by the State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs when applying for positions. The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center fully supports employment of individuals with disabilities and provides reasonable accommodations. Visit the following website for detailed information: https://www.opm.gov/disability/appointment_disabilities.asp.
o You meet the eligibility criteria for ADA if you possess “Proof of Disability" which includes any of the following:
- Statements or letters on a physician’s/medical professional’s letterhead stationary; or
- Statements, records or letters from the Federal Government agency that issues or provides disability benefits; or
- Statements, records or letters from a State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency counselor; or Certification from a private Vocational Rehabilitation or other Counselor that issues or provides disability benefits.
Note: Proof of the disability is required for appointments of persons with disabilities. FLETC will accept as proof of disability documentation from a licensed medical professional (e.g., a physician or other medical professional duly certified by a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory, to practice medicine); a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (i.e., State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, or an agency of the District of Columbia or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
Note: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) only accepts attendance and/or degrees from schools that are accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information may be obtained at OPM and U.S. Department of Education websites: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.