The Law Enforcement Driver Instructor Training Program (LEDITP) equips the student with the skills, techniques, operational principles, legal considerations and instructional methodologies to teach a comprehensive driver training program to law enforcement officers. The student will be exposed to a variety of courses designed specifically for the law enforcement driver. These courses will provide fundamental and advanced skills which will enhance the instructor's teaching proficiency. Classroom instruction, laboratories, and practical exercises are used during the training. At the completion of the program, students will have achieved levels of competency that will enable them to successfully design, coordinate, evaluate and facilitate a law enforcement driver training program.
1. Must be employed in law enforcement or law enforcement related positions and have assigned duties that require knowledge of the subject matter.
2. Must be actively engaged in, or expected to be assigned as a driver training instructor for their organization.
3. Must be in good physical condition, possess a valid driver’s license, and have knowledge of law enforcement driving operations.
4. Must be a graduate of a general law enforcement instructor training program or provide certification from a commanding officer that requisite skills and experience in instruction are possessed.
Required Training Materials
- Cheltenham Students: You must bring appropriate training attire. Training uniforms are not provided.
- Introduction to Presentation Graphics
- Instructional Systems Design for Law Enforcement
- Police Vehicle Maintenance and Awareness
- Instructional Methodologies
- On-Range Instruction
- Teaching Pursuit Driving
- Teaching Emergency Response Driving
- Teaching Non-Emergency Vehicle Operations
- Teaching Skid Control
- Introduction to Vehicle Dynamics
- Teaching Night Pursuit Driving
- Range Facilities and Technology
- Project Assignments
- Training Risk Assessment for DITP
- DITP Project Assignments (P.E.)
- Supplemental Training
- Instructing Advanced Handling and Technical Driving Skills
- Distracted Driving
- Teaching Law Enforcement Driving Skills
- Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC)
Federal organization personnel should contact their agency training officer to register for training, email questions to FLETCAdmissions@fletc.dhs.gov or telephone 912-267-3344.
State, local and tribal officers requesting training should register online. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-800-743-5382.
International (non-US) personnel should email FLETCemail@example.com or telephone 912-261-4023.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 267-3235
Artesia: (575) 746-5962
Cheltenham: (301) 877-8343