The Law Enforcement Driver Instructor Training Program (LEDITP) equips the student with the skills, techniques, operational principles, legal considerations and instructional methodologies to teach a comprehensive driver training program to law enforcement officers. The student will be exposed to a variety of courses designed specifically for the law enforcement driver. These courses will provide fundamental and advanced skills which will enhance the instructor's teaching proficiency. Classroom instruction, laboratories, and practical exercises are used during the training. At the completion of the program, students will have achieved levels of competency that will enable them to successfully design, coordinate, evaluate and facilitate a law enforcement driver training program.
1. Must be employed in law enforcement or law enforcement related positions or those designated Direct Law Enforcement Support Personnel (DLESP) and have assigned duties that require knowledge of the subject matter.
2. Must be actively engaged in, or expected to be assigned as a driver training instructor for their organization.
3. Must be in good physical condition, possess a valid driver’s license, and have knowledge of law enforcement driving operations.
4. Must be a graduate of a general law enforcement instructor training program or provide certification from a commanding officer that requisite skills and experience in instruction are possessed.
Required Training Materials
- Cheltenham Students: You must bring appropriate training attire. Training uniforms are not provided.
- Police Vehicle Maintenance and Awareness
- On-Range Instruction
- Teaching Pursuit Driving
- Teaching Non-Emergency Vehicle Operations
- Teaching Skid Control
- Teaching Night Pursuit Driving
- Range Facilities and Technology
- Training Risk Assessment for DITP
- Supplemental Training
- Distracted Driving
- Teaching Law Enforcement Driving Skills
- Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC)
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 267-2100 or (912) 267-2353
Artesia: (575) 746-5676
Charleston: (843) 566-8568
Cheltenham: (301) 877-8343