The Law Enforcement Driver Instructor Training Program (LEDITP) equips the student with the skills, techniques, operational principles, legal considerations and instructional methodologies to teach a comprehensive driver training program to law enforcement officers. The student will be exposed to a variety of courses designed specifically for the law enforcement driver. These courses will provide fundamental and advanced skills which will enhance the instructor's teaching proficiency. Classroom instruction, laboratories, and practical exercises are used during the training. At the completion of the program, students will have achieved levels of competency that will enable them to successfully design, coordinate, evaluate and facilitate a law enforcement driver training program.
1. Must be employed in law enforcement or law enforcement related positions or those designated Direct Law Enforcement Support Personnel (DLESP) and have assigned duties that require knowledge of the subject matter.
2. Must be actively engaged in, or expected to be assigned as a driver training instructor for their organization.
3. Must be in good physical condition, possess a valid driver’s license, and have knowledge of law enforcement driving operations.
4. Must be a graduate of a general law enforcement instructor training program or provide certification from a commanding officer that requisite skills and experience in instruction are possessed.
Required Training Materials
- Cheltenham Students: You must bring appropriate training attire. Training uniforms are not provided.
Police Vehicle Maintenance and Awareness
Teaching Pursuit Driving
Teaching Non-Emergency Vehicle Operations
Teaching Skid Control
Teaching Night Pursuit Driving
Range Facilities and Technology
Training Risk Assessment for DITP
Teaching Law Enforcement Driving Skills
Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC)
- Federal organization personnel should contact their agency training officer to register for training. If you do not know your agency representative you may contact FLETC Admissions for assistance.
- Apply for state, local and tribal training. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, contact FLETC Admissions
- International (non-US) personnel should email FLETCfirstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 912-261-4023.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 267-2100 or (912) 267-2353 Artesia: (575) 746-5676 Charleston: (843) 566-8568 Cheltenham: (301) 877-8437