The Introduction to Criminal Investigation Training Program (ICITP) is designed to acquaint the non-criminal investigator student with the procedures, techniques, legal concerns, and challenges associated with a criminal investigation. The program focuses on the role of the criminal investigator and emphasizes interviewing skills and legal requirements. Combining classroom lectures and practical exercises in the program allows students to better comprehend the various investigative procedures.
Although the ICITP provides an overview of the criminal investigative process and focuses on the role of the criminal investigator, it is designed for non-criminal investigator personnel and individuals serving as direct law enforcement support personnel. Specifically in mind are regulatory and compliance inspectors, paralegals, auditors, technical personnel, and others who might assist in a criminal investigation, be required to testify in a criminal matter, or refer a matter to court for criminal investigators.
Required Training Materials
- Administrative Law
- Officer Liability
- Courtroom Testimony
- Federal Criminal Law
- Courtroom Evidence
- Federal Court Procedures
- Fourth Amendment
- Government Employee Rights
- Authentication of Identity Documents for Law Enforcement Personnel
- Criminal Investigations/Case Management
- Documentation/Report Writing
- Investigative Techniques
- Electronic Sources of Information for Law Enforcement
- Financial Aspects of Criminal Investigations
- Electronic Case Organization
- Victim Witness Response
- Gothas Interviewing Laboratory
- Cognitive Interview
- Interviewing for Criminal Investigators
- Handling Denials
- Obtaining a Detailed Written Statement
- Federal organization personnel should contact their agency training officer to register for training. If you do not know your agency representative you may contact FLETC Admissions for assistance.
- Apply for state, local and tribal training. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, contact FLETC Admissions
- International (non-US) personnel should email FLETCemail@example.com or telephone 912-261-4023.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 267-2107