The Firearms Instructor Training Program (FITP) is designed to provide newly assigned firearms instructors with a familiarization of a variety of firearms, to include care and maintenance and the skills necessary to function as a law enforcement firearms instructor. The program also introduces the new instructors to teaching techniques as well as identifying and resolving shooting problems/errors.
- Applicant must be a full-time law enforcement officer/agent or military with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or active military.
- Must be experienced in or possess the potential for presenting instructional material to law enforcement personnel.
- Qualified in parent agency course of fire.
- Actively engaged in, or expected to be detailed as a firearms instructor for parent organization.
- Must be in good physical condition with no medical restrictions and pass a FLETC health screening.
- Must demonstrate individual firearms proficiency by successfully completing a handgun skills assessment.
- Scoring a minimum of 85% (255) on a standard course of fire during the first day of the program.
Required Training Materials
- Agency issued handgun
- Leather/web gear (Gear not authorized for use are: Auto Lock, Trigger Finger Release Style Holsters that require the trigger finger to deactivate/disable the retention mechanism, Shoulder Holsters, Cross Draw Holsters, Inside the belt holsters, or Ankle Holsters.)
Note: If a student cannot bring their agency issued handgun, FLETC (all sites) will provide the student a handgun for training.
For Cheltenham Students:
- You must bring proper range attire. Training uniforms are not provided.
- Issued semi-automatic pistol
- Duty belt with holster (Gear not authorized for use are: Auto Lock, Trigger Finger Release Style Holsters that require the trigger finger to deactivate/disable the retention mechanism, Shoulder Holsters, Cross Draw Holsters, Inside the belt holsters, or Ankle Holsters.)
- A minimum of 3 magazines. Ammunition and range safety equipment will be provided.
- Basic Marksmanship Instruction
- Target Analysis
- On-line Instruction - FITP
- Instructional Techniques & Training Aids - FITP
- Range Organization and Administration - FITP
- FLETC Practical Pistol Course (FLETC PPC)
- Weapons Descriptions
- Advanced Shotgun - FITP
- Judgment Pistol Shooting - FITP
- Off-Range Firearms Safety - FITP
- Basic Marksmanship for Revolvers - FITP
- Submachine Gun Familiarization for FITP
- Fundamentals of Reactive Shooting for Instructors
- Firearms Range Safety
- Law Enforcement Rifle
- Non-Lethal Training Ammunition (NLTA)
- Introduction to Ammunition & Ballistics
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 554-4321
Artesia: (575) 746-5962
Charleston: (843) 746-0865
Cheltenham: (301) 877-8430