The Digital Photography For Law Enforcement Level 2 (DPLE 2) is designed to equip the experienced law enforcement officer, investigator, and/or crime scene technician with a comprehensive understanding of the principles of digital photography and substantial proficiency capturing the wide range of images required in law enforcement. This includes crime scene photographs, examination-quality evidence photographs, surveillance photographs, low and alternate light source photographs, and panoramic photographs.
This program focuses on practical field application, and as such, is comprised of numerous exercise scenarios requiring frequent settings manipulation and production of hundreds of photographs. Once images are obtained, students receive training on proper handling and development of the photographs to meet legal standards for court admission and presentation. Upon completion of the training, the law enforcement student will return to their respective agency with the requisite knowledge and equipment necessary to professionally and properly document virtually any type of crime scene, physical evidence, or criminal activity in progress.
This program has been approved by the Crime Scene Certification Board and the Forensic Photography Board of the International Association for Identification (IAI) as meeting the requirements necessary for training and professional development towards crime scene and forensic photography certification/recertification. This program is also offered without equipment at a reduced tuition.
- Applicant must be a law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or Fire Services Agency whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography, or an individual serving as direct law enforcement support personnel whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography.
Required Training Materials
All camera equipment needed during the program is provided to the students:
- Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera System
- Laptop with Digital Imaging Software Package
Upon completion of the program the Camera System including flash and filters and associated imaging software (included in program cost) is provided to the student and issued to their agency.
- Digital Imaging
- Introduction to Digital SLR Camera System
- Controlling Light (Old Flash Photo)
- Specialized Photography
- Low Light Photography
- Surveillance Photography
- Crime Scene Photography
- Digital Photography Final PE
- Forensic Light Applications
- Death Scene Photography
- Vehicular Scene Photography
- Segmented Panoramic Photography
- The Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC) partner with numerous federal agencies to provide law enforcement training. If you are a member of one of these Participating Organizations, please contact your agency training officer for class availability. If your agency is not a partner organization of the FLETC and you are interested in attending a course, please contact us at FLETC Admissions. Class availability is limited for non-partner organizations.
- The FLETC supports our local law enforcement communities by providing training opportunities, onsite at FLETC campuses and exported to host locations across the United States. State, local and tribal officers can apply for this training at FLETC Application for Student Training (FAST).
- For more information on all training at FLETC, please contact us at FLETC Admissions.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 554-4828