The Digital Photography For Law Enforcement Level 2 (DPLE 2) is designed to equip the experienced law enforcement officer, investigator, and/or crime scene technician with a comprehensive understanding of the principles of digital photography and substantial proficiency capturing the wide range of images required in law enforcement. This includes crime scene photographs, examination-quality evidence photographs, surveillance photographs, low and alternate light source photographs, and panoramic photographs.
This program focuses on practical field application, and as such, is comprised of numerous exercise scenarios requiring frequent settings manipulation and production of hundreds of photographs. Once images are obtained, students receive training on proper handling and development of the photographs to meet legal standards for court admission and presentation. Upon completion of the training, the law enforcement student will return to their respective agency with the requisite knowledge and equipment necessary to professionally and properly document virtually any type of crime scene, physical evidence, or criminal activity in progress.
This program has been approved by the Crime Scene Certification Board and the Forensic Photography Board of the International Association for Identification (IAI) as meeting the requirements necessary for training and professional development towards crime scene and forensic photography certification/recertification. This program is also offered without equipment at a reduced tuition.
- Applicant must be a law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or Fire Services Agency whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography, or an individual serving as direct law enforcement support personnel whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography.
Required Training Materials
All camera equipment needed during the program is provided to the students:
- Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera System
- Laptop with Digital Imaging Software Package
Upon completion of the program the Camera System including flash and filters and associated imaging software (included in program cost) is provided to the student and issued to their agency.
- Digital Imaging
- Introduction to Digital SLR Camera System
- Controlling Light (Old Flash Photo)
- Specialized Photography
- Low Light Photography
- Surveillance Photography
- Crime Scene Photography
- Digital Photography Final PE
- Forensic Light Applications
- Death Scene Photography
- Vehicular Scene Photography
- Segmented Panoramic Photography
- Federal organization personnel should contact their agency training officer to register for training. If you do not know your agency representative you may contact FLETC Admissions for assistance.
- Apply for state, local and tribal training. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, contact FLETC Admissions
- International (non-US) personnel should email FLETCfirstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 912-261-4023.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 554-4828