The Digital Photography For Law Enforcement Level 1 (DPLE 1) is an introductory digital photography course developed for law enforcement first responders and criminal investigators, who are responsible for photographically documenting crime scenes, traffic accident scenes, injuries, or any other type of evidence associated with a criminal investigation.
This fast paced course begins with the fundamentals associated with controlling a photographic exposure using a Nikon Digital Single-lens Reflex (DSLR) camera system. Through a combination of lecture and scenario-based, hands-on laboratories, the student develops the necessary skills associated with properly operating a digital camera to capture the high quality evidence grade photographs required in law enforcement.
This program has been approved by the Crime Scene Certification Board and the Forensic Photography Certification Board of the International Association for Identification (IAI) as meeting the requirements necessary for training and professional development towards crime scene and forensic photography certification/re-certification. This program is also offered without equipment at a reduced tuition.
- Applicant must be a law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or Fire Services Agency whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography, or an individual serving as direct law enforcement support personnel whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography.
Required Training Materials
All camera equipment needed during the program is provided to the students:
- Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera System
- Laptop with Digital Imaging Software Package
- Principles of Photography
- Intro to Digital SLR Camera System
- Controlling Light (Old Flash Photo)
- Low Light Photography
- Crime Scene Photography
- Digital Photography Final PE
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 554-4828