The Digital Photography For Law Enforcement Level 1 (DPLE 1) is an introductory digital photography course developed for law enforcement first responders and criminal investigators, who are responsible for photographically documenting crime scenes, traffic accident scenes, injuries, or any other type of evidence associated with a criminal investigation.
This fast paced course begins with the fundamentals associated with controlling a photographic exposure using a Nikon Digital Single-lens Reflex (DSLR) camera system. Through a combination of lecture and scenario-based, hands-on laboratories, the student develops the necessary skills associated with properly operating a digital camera to capture the high quality evidence grade photographs required in law enforcement.
This program has been approved by the Crime Scene Certification Board and the Forensic Photography Certification Board of the International Association for Identification (IAI) as meeting the requirements necessary for training and professional development towards crime scene and forensic photography certification/re-certification. This program is also offered without equipment at a reduced tuition.
- Applicant must be a law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or Fire Services Agency whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography, or an individual serving as direct law enforcement support personnel whose primary or secondary duty includes investigative photography.
Required Training Materials
All camera equipment needed during the program is provided to the students:
- Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera System
- Laptop with Digital Imaging Software Package
Upon completion of the program the Camera System including flash and filters (included in program cost) is provided to the student and issued to their agency.
- Principles of Photography
- Intro to Digital SLR Camera System
- Controlling Light (Old Flash Photo)
- Low Light Photography
- Crime Scene Photography
- Digital Photography Final PE
- The Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC) partner with numerous federal agencies to provide law enforcement training. If you are a member of one of these Participating Organizations, please contact your agency training officer for class availability. If your agency is not a partner organization of the FLETC and you are interested in attending a course, please contact us at FLETC Admissions. Class availability is limited for non-partner organizations.
- The FLETC supports our local law enforcement communities by providing training opportunities, onsite at FLETC campuses and exported to host locations across the United States. State, local and tribal officers can apply for this training at FLETC Application for Student Training (FAST).
- For more information on all training at FLETC, please contact us at FLETC Admissions.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 554-4828