The Basic Incident Response to Digital Evidence (BIRDE) provides training necessary to any criminal investigator who may be a first responder in a situation in which computer based evidence is or may be recovered. While not being overwhelmingly technical in delivery, this program provides a sufficient overview of technology in order to adequately prepare the criminal investigator for taking proper steps necessary to identify, collect, acquire, and preserve digital evidence during the conduct of an investigation.
Applicant must be a law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws; Direct Law Enforcement Support Personnel (DLESP); or Employees of a federal, state, local, tribal or international agency who perform functions directly related to a law enforcement or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) mission but do not necessarily have the authority to carry and use firearms, make arrests and/or conduct searches with or without a warrant. This category of personnel may also include military personnel preparing for deployment. This is an entry-level course. However, a functional knowledge of computers is recommended.
This program is part of the FLETC's Cybercrime Track (FCT) or the Electronic Surveillance (ELSUR) Track. By entering FCT or ELSUR into the search window, other related Cyber Division programs can be found.
Required Training Materials
- Electronic Law and Evidence
- First Responders to Digital Evidence
- Federal organization personnel should contact their agency training officer to register for training. If you do not know your agency representative you may contact: FLETCAdmissions@fletc.dhs.gov for assistance.
- State, local and tribal officers requesting training should apply online. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, please email FLETCAdmissions@fletc.dhs.gov
- International (non-US) personnel should email FLETCemail@example.com or telephone 912-261-4023.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 267-2702
Artesia: (575) 746-5962
Cheltenham: (301) 877-8430