The Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC) continues to monitor the track of Hurricane Dorian. Because it remains too soon to know which direction the storm will travel, it remains too early for FLETC to make a decision about operations next week. However, we are regularly communicating with our participating organizations, and anticipate updating staff at least twice daily.
Now is the time to prepare for the potential impacts Hurricane Dorian may have on our area. Here are some tips to keep in mind at this time:
- Secure loose or lightweight items outside your house or business.
- Keep your vehicles fueled.
- Finalize your disaster kit.
- Ensure you have at least three days’ worth of water and non-perishable foods.
- Ensure you have extra medications and medical supplies.
- If your medication requires refrigeration, ensure you have a plan in place should you lose power for an extended period of time.
- Make sure all information in your family communication plan is up to date and that everyone knows the plan.
- Make provisions for your pets. Make sure they are inside, out of the elements, and have plenty of food and water.
- Flooding is possible in low-lying areas.
- Prepare for potential financial impacts.
A good rule of thumb when planning is to double the amount of time you think it will take to get back to your home or to get power turned on. Remember to create emergency supply kits and to learn evacuation routes before you need them.
Three important links regarding making a plan, compiling a kit, and staying informed are
- The Ready.gov Site: http://www.ready.gov;
- The FLETC Emergency Preparedness Site: https://www.fletc.gov/emergency-preparedness; and
- The FLETC Office of Emergency Management and Continuity SharePoint site, which contains a link to an informative tidal surge impact video.
We will continue to monitor and provide updates, as needed, on the internet, social media, the FLETC mobile app, and the FLETC 1-800 number (see list below). Please check back frequently to ensure you have the latest information.
Please save these sites and phone number in your phone now, so you are prepared in the event of an emergency.
- 1-800-79FLETC or 1-800-793-5382
- FLETC.gov – Main Page under Hurricane Dorian Updates
- On Twitter - @FLETC/ https://twitter.com/FLETC
- On Facebook – FLETC Headquarters/ http://www.facebook.com/fletc
- On Instagram – FLETC/ https://www.instagram.com/fletc/
- FLETC Mobile App – available at the Apple Store and Google Play
Stay tuned to your local TV stations and radios for additional storm updates.
Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers
Protocol & Communications Office