The Commercial Vessel Boarding Training Program (CVBTP) was designed to provide extensive hands-on training in the boarding and searching of High Interest Vessels (HIV's). Students will board a 494' break-bulk freighter, conduct interviews, search compartments, identify void areas and confined spaces. During the Practical Exercise phase, students will conduct an “Underway-High Risk Vessel” boarding and search of a 65’ vessel in open water. This program was designed for military, federal, state and local law enforcement officers, and Port Authority personnel who board and search commercial vessels.
- Applicant must be a law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws.
- Must be in good physical condition with no medical restrictions.
Required Training Materials
- Officer Survival Afloat
- Boarding Lab
- Pre-Boarding Procedures
- Boarding Procedures
- Commercial Vessel Familiarization
- Maritime Vessel Documentation Identification
- Culmination Boarding Practical Exercise
The Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC) partner with numerous federal agencies to provide law enforcement training. If you are a member of one of these Participating Organizations, please contact your agency training officer for class availability. If your agency is not a partner organization of the FLETC and you are interested in attending a course, please contact us to request placement on our Wait List.
The FLETC State, Local and Tribal Division (SLTD) supports our local law enforcement communities by providing training opportunities, onsite at FLETC campuses and exported to hosts, through the FLETC Application for Student Training (FAST) online application site at FLETC.gov/FAST.
For more information on all training at FLETC, please contact us at FLETCAdmissions@FLETC.DHS.GOV or 800-743-5382.
Program Contact Info
Charleston: (843) 566-8579