The Advanced Pistol Instructor Training Program (APITP) is designed to challenge firearms instructors to take a critical look at traditional philosophies and methodologies. This program will equip firearms instructors with the knowledge and techniques required to perform and teach the fundamentals of tactical shooting and weapons handling skills under stress. This five day program is designed to educate firearms instructors so that they can teach the principles of advanced tactical shooting and move their agency training programs to the next level. This is achieved by emphasizing gun fighting principles and using specific techniques such as the thumbs forward grip, proper body bio-mechanics, committed shot trigger control, and movement. All these skills are designed to enhance the officer’s weapon control and ability to engage multiple targets.
1. Applicant must be a certified law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or active military.
2. Applicant must have completed Survival Shooting Training Program (SSTP), Survival Shooting Training Program-Modified (SSTP_M), or Advanced Pistol Training Program (APTP).
3. Applicant must be certified as a Firearms Instructor for their parent agency.
4. Applicant must pass a Pistol Skill Assessment on the first day of training. Failure to achieve a passing score on the course of fire will result in removal from the program.
5. Must be in good physical condition with no medical restrictions and pass a FLETC health screening.
Required Training Materials
- Firearms Safety Rules & Regulations
- Instructional Techniques & Training Aids
- Advanced Pistol Techniques and Instructional Methodologie
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 280-5419
Charleston: (843) 746-0865
Cheltenham: (301) 877-8547
Artesia: (575) 746-5676