The Submachine Gun Instructor Training Program (SMGITP) is designed to train the law enforcement officer to be a submachine gun instructor with knowledge in course of fire development, nomenclature, safety rules, safe handling, loading and unloading, safe operation and maintenance of multiple submachine guns. The submachine guns used in this program include: H&K MP-5 and UMP-40, Colt M-4 and SMG (9mm) and the FN P90. These weapons are provided if not provided by your agency.
Graduation from the program requires the firing of two qualification courses. One qualification course uses the H&K MP-5 and the other uses the Colt M-4.
- Applicant must be a full-time law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or active military.
- Must be in good physical condition with no medical restrictions and pass a FLETC health screening.
- Must be an agency designated firearms instructor who graduated from a firearms instructor training program.
- The applicant should have a minimum of one year experience as a firearms instructor.
Required Training Materials
- Agency-issued handgun
- Leather/web gear (Gear not authorized for use are: Auto Lock, Trigger Finger Release Style Holsters that require the trigger finger to deactivate/disable the retention mechanism, Shoulder Holsters, Cross Draw Holsters, Inside the belt holsters, or Ankle Holsters)
Note: If a student cannot bring their agency issued handgun, FLETC (all sites) will provide the student a handgun for training.
For Cheltenham Students:
- You must bring proper range attire. Training uniforms are not provided.
- Issued semi-automatic pistol
- Duty belt with holster (Gear not authorized for use are: Auto Lock, Trigger Finger Release Style Holsters that require the trigger finger to deactivate/disable the retention mechanism, Shoulder Holsters, Cross Draw Holsters, Inside the belt holsters, or Ankle Holsters)
- A minimum of 3 magazines. Ammunition and range safety equipment will be provided.
- Firearms Safety Rules & Regulations
- Law Enforcement Rifle
- H&K MP-5 Submachine Gun (SMGTP)
- Submachine Gun Descriptions
- Reduced Light
Federal organization personnel should contact their agency training officer to register for training, email questions to FLETCAdmissions@fletc.dhs.gov or telephone 912-267-3344.
State, local and tribal officers requesting training should register online. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, please email email@example.com or call us at 1-800-743-5382.
International (non-US) personnel should email FLETCfirstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 912-261-4023.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 554-4321
Artesia: (575) 746-5962
Charleston: (843) 746-0865
Cheltenham: (301) 877-8450