The Firearms Instructor Refresher Training Program (FIRTP) is designed to update field firearms instructors with contemporary firearms issues, trends, tactics, and training techniques. Topics that become current and timely are integrated into the program. The program objectives are achieved through classroom discussions and practical hands-on exercises. All students are required to safely complete several dynamic "live fire" steel stress courses demonstrating individual firearms proficiency as a "shooter" and instructor skills as a coach. They will also actively participate as a team member tasked with the development of an interactive training exercise using specialized non-lethal marking cartridges.
- Applicant must be a full-time law enforcement officer/agent with arrest authority in the prevention, detection, apprehension, detention and/or investigation of felony and/or misdemeanor violations of federal, state, local, tribal, or military criminal laws or active military.
- Must have graduated from a Firearms Instructor School presented by such organizations as the FLETC, NRA, FBI/DEA, USSS or equivalent.
- Must be in good physical condition with no medical restrictions and pass a FLETC health screening.
- Must be actively engaged in agency firearms training and be agency-designated as a firearm’s instructor.
Required Training Materials
- Agency issued handgun
- Leather/web gear (Gear not authorized for use are: Auto Lock, Trigger Finger Release Style Holsters that require the trigger finger to deactivate/disable the retention mechanism, Shoulder Holsters, Cross Draw Holsters, Inside the belt holsters, or Ankle Holsters.)
Note: If a student cannot bring their agency issued handgun, FLETC (all sites) will provide the student a handgun for training.
For Cheltenham Students:
- You must bring proper range attire. Training uniforms are not provided.
- Issued semi-automatic pistol
- Duty belt with holster (Gear not authorized for use are: Auto Lock, Trigger Finger Release Style Holsters that require the trigger finger to deactivate/disable the retention mechanism, Shoulder Holsters, Cross Draw Holsters, Inside the belt holsters, or Ankle Holsters.)
- A minimum of 3 magazines. Ammunition and range safety equipment will be provided.
- Range/Off-Range Safety for FIRTP
- Situation Awareness
- Static Course Development
- Reduced Light with Flashlight
- Shotgun Drills for Instructors
- Live Fire Cover Course
- Dynamic and Interactive Course Development
- Interactive Cover Drills (Level II)
- Officer Liability
- Judgment Pistol Shooting
Federal organization personnel should contact their agency training officer to register for training, email questions to FLETCAdmissions@fletc.dhs.gov or telephone 912-267-3344.
State, local and tribal officers requesting training should register online. If organizational support is required or you have additional needs, please email email@example.com or call us at 1-800-743-5382.
International (non-US) personnel should email FLETCfirstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 912-261-4023.
Program Contact Info
Glynco: (912) 554-4321
Artesia: (575) 746-5962
Charleston: (843) 746-0865
Cheltenham: (301) 877-8430