Firearms Instructor Training Program (FITP)Up one level
The Firearms Instructor Training Program (FITP) is designed to provide newly assigned firearms instructors with a familiarization of a variety of firearms, to include care and maintenance. The program also introduces the new instructors to teaching techniques as well as identifying and resolving shooting problems/errors. Participants should bring their agency issued handgun and leather/web gear for this training (no trigger finger manipulation, cross-draw or thigh holsters).
Length: 10 class days
Instructors assigned to coordinate and work with these programs have a significant background in law enforcement/military and special weapons training. The instructional staff includes personnel from federal, military, state and/or municipal law enforcement agencies. All instructors assigned to teach in these programs attend special instructor training programs in the disciplines assigned.
Prerequisites for Attendance
For acceptance into this program the applicant must meet the following criteria: currently serve as a full-time law enforcement officer or active military; experience in, or possess the potential for presenting instructional material to law enforcement personnel; qualified in parent agency course of fire; actively engaged in, or expected to be detailed as a firearms instructor for parent organization; be in good physical condition; pass a FLETC health screening and demonstrate individual firearms proficiency by successfully completing a handgun skills assessment, scoring a minimum of 85% (255) on a standard course of fire during the first day of the program.
Students are encouraged to bring their issued semi-automatic pistol, issued leather gear (no trigger finger manipulation, cross-draw or thigh holsters) and a minimum of 3 magazines. Ammunition and range safety equipment will be provided as will the FLETC uniform*.
* Uniforms are not provided at FLETC Cheltenham, Maryland.
Upon request, this program is also available as an export to an agency’s location.
If you need additional information or have questions about the advanced training programs offered by the FAD, please refer to the contact information below.
FAD, Building 166
1131 Chapel Crossing Road
Glynco, GA 31524
E-Mail : FLETC-FADPOC@FLETC.DHS.GOV
- E_FITP-402 / Cheltenham, MD -- Apr 07, 2014 to Apr 18, 2014
- E_FITP-403 / Cheltenham, MD -- Jun 09, 2014 to Jun 20, 2014
- G_FITP-405 / Glynco, GA -- Mar 10, 2014 to Mar 21, 2014
- G_FITP-406 / Glynco, GA -- May 05, 2014 to May 16, 2014
- G_FITP-407 / Glynco, GA -- Jun 09, 2014 to Jun 20, 2014
- G_FITP-408 / Glynco, GA -- Jul 14, 2014 to Jul 25, 2014
- G_FITP-409 / Glynco, GA -- Aug 11, 2014 to Aug 22, 2014
- G_FITP-410 / Glynco, GA -- Sep 15, 2014 to Sep 26, 2014
- G_FITPM-401 / Glynco, GA -- Apr 07, 2014 to Apr 18, 2014
- G_FITPM-402 / Glynco, GA -- Jul 28, 2014 to Aug 08, 2014