Hangar Stored with Surplus Aircraft
The era of the big blimps was drawing to a close in the late 1950s.The two airship squadrons assigned to Glynco were dissolved in October 1959, and the blimps were transferred to Lakehurst, New Jersey. The giant airship hangars, sitting empty, were used to store surplus World War II aircraft. It was the first full absence of the airships in the station's 16-year history. Courtesy of FLETC.
Click to view full-size image… — Size: 144.6 kB